Machinery is one of the most commonly shipped items in the world, and for good reason. Nearly everything we as humans use or consume has been impacted by machinery somehow – from the computers we work on, to the vehicles we drive, to the food we eat.
Unfortunately, we don’t live in a world where all machinery is built right on location and never needs to be transported elsewhere. But with these pieces of equipment being so highly valued and just as highly priced, you may be wondering the best and safest ways to transport them.
Due to the large nature of most machinery, every state has its own rules and regulations when it comes to shipping them. This is due to the fact that shipping machinery and oversized goods can be dangerous, and in the event of something going wrong, the state wants to protect its property. Your carrier should be familiar with these regulations, and work within them.
Here are some key steps to keep in mind when shipping machinery:
- Choose a reputable shipping company. Make sure you trust the company you choose with your precious cargo, don’t just pick the lowest quote and cross your fingers everything goes to plan.
At Freight Rate Central, we work with only the most reliable carriers, so you can rest assured that your machinery is in capable, experienced hands – and you’ll be sure to get a great rate, too!
- Make sure your machinery is insured. All trucking companies are required by federal law to have $100,000 in car insurance. If your machinery is valued at more than that price, it would be wise to get extra insurance to make up the difference and protect yourself and your equipment. The easiest way to do this is to secure more insurance through the carrier’s provider. You can request this information from your carrier.
- Determine your freight class. Freight class is important in any shipment. Freight class is determined by the density of your shipment. If you have trouble determining your class, contact us and we’ll be happy to help.
- Decide how your machinery will be shipped. Can your machinery be disassembled and sent in pieces, or does it need to be sent as an entire unit? Can it fit in a shipping container or truck or does it need a special trailer? Will your shipment require special care due to intricate computer panels?
Freight Rate Central has equipment ranging from flatbed, stepdeck, RGN, Lowboy, Multi Axle Double Drop, RGN Extendable, Power Only, Stretch, and specialized trailers. We can ship any equipment however you need.
- Ship your machinery. Once you’ve went through all of the motions above, you’re ready to ship your machinery. If your machinery is crated, be sure that it is secured down. Once it’s shipped, all you have to do is await its arrival at its destination.
If you have any questions regarding shipping a piece of equipment or machinery, Freight Rate Central is here to help. You can contact us online or by phone.
Though Freight Rate Central is centrally located in Idaho, we service all across the United States. We aim to provide the most efficient and economical shipping for all of our clients, and work with a number of servicers to ensure you get only the best rates no matter your shipping needs. We take care of the details both big and small, so you can rest easy with your shipments in our hands. Contact us today at 855-FRC-SHIP (855-372-7447) to learn more about our services, or visit us online to request a free quote.